StatCounter

Friday 18 April 2014

It's been a long time since my last blog.  My only excuse is that I have been really busy sorting and entering loads and loads of Vickery data from both UK and Australia.  This is an ongoing exercise, having completed the 1851 UK census I am now half way through the 1861 UK census.

Last weekend I attended the Guild of One-Name Studies annual conference and seeing what other One-Namers achieve with their blogs and web sites,  I have been spurred on to do better myself.

TYNTESFIELD
Some of you may have visited this magnificent house near Bristol, now a National Trust property but once the grand home of the Gibbs family who made their fortune importing guano from South America in the middle of the 19th century.

In 1747 George Abraham Gibbs, an Exeter surgeon, married Anne VICARY (1722 - 1803) and it was their grandson William who bought Tyntesfield and greatly enlarged it.  I have not yet managed to trace Anne's own family tree but I hope to one day.